ACT traineeships are funded under User Choice initiatives by the ACT Government. Training can commence at any time of the year for the following qualifications in any early childhood education and care service or school age education and care service in the ACT.
New Entrant & Existing Worker Traineeships
Click on the qualification below for further information.
Traineeships are an excellent way for someone to commence an early childhood career. Many services take on a trainee each year to bring new staff into their centres and provide career opportunities for those wanting to enter the sector. Traineeship courses give educators an opportunity to pass on their knowledge and skills which they have gained from years of experience working with children. The Australian government also provides financial incentives to assist with the cost of employing a trainee.
Training is provided via distance education with support and assessment visits in the workplace. At ECTARC we pride ourselves on the high level of support we provide to our trainees. Our trainees receive:
- 24/7 access to online training and student portals (providing supplementary resources, a Trainer messaging service, facility to upload assessments, assessment results etc) so trainees are able to complete their studies at the service and home.
- Guarantee of an ECTARC Training and Development Officer to speak to at all times during business hours, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm and Tuesday nights until 7pm,
- Email access to their personal ECTARC Training and Development Officer.
Directors, Nominated Supervisors and/or employers are supported and regularly updated throughout the traineeship on the progress of their trainee.
ECTARC has over 20 years experience of delivering traineeships and has won numerous awards that recognise the high quality training we provide.
- Owners/Directors contact their local Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (Apprenticeship Network). Find your local centre at https://www.australianapprenticeships.gov.au to discuss the requirements of taking on a trainee and information on the financial incentives available. The Owner/Director tells the Apprenticeship Network office that they want ECTARC to be the training provider.
- Owner/Directors employ a trainee.
- An ECTARC Training and Development Officer will conduct the sign up of the trainee and conduct the first study session via live webinar. In the study session the ECTARC Training and Development Officer will explain the training plan, provide access to the learning materials and how to undertake and submit assessments.
- Training takes place both on and off the job. Trainees are provided with learning materials and assessment tasks that give them the opportunity to study at a service or from home. Employers give trainees time off the floor each week to complete learning materials. A qualified educator/Teacher from the service takes on the role as the trainee’s Workplace Supervisor. The Workplace Supervisor provides support and advice to the trainee throughout the program.
- ECTARC provides support to the trainee and employer through contact visits to the centre throughout the traineeship and via regular telephone communications. Every month a progression letter is sent to the Director to clearly communicate how the trainee or apprentice is progressing with their studies.
Download the ACT Traineeship Handbook for information on traineeships. ECTARC trainees are encouraged to read the ACT Traineeship Handbook prior to commencement and refer to it throughout their studies.
Training is subsidised by the ACT Government, however ECTARC is required to charge participants a fee for administration costs upon enrolment in an Australian Apprenticeship. A one-off fee of $350 applies to all ACT Australian Apprenticeship courses. Payment is due on enrolment and fees may be paid upfront in full or a direct debit plan must be arranged.
Please see the ECTARC Fee Schedule for current fees and further information.
All students must complete the first aid Statement of Attainment HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting with an external registered training organisation at their own expense but this fee will be reimbursed by ECTARC up to the amount of $160. A copy of the invoice and a Statement of Attainment must be forwarded to ECTARC before the completion of the course. Credit will be given for this unit. To find an external training provider please click here training.gov.au or speak to your ECTARC Training and Development Officer.
- Reimbursement will only be paid if the First Aid course has been completed after the ECTARC sign up date and in the term of the traineeship.
- First aid certificates expire every 3 years. If your first aid certificate expires during the term of your traineeship you will be required to complete the unit with an external training provider.
All traineeship enquiries can be directed to
Natalie Fernandes, Manager – Funded Programs
Phone: 02 4223 1111
Sign up to ECTARC Email Updates
If you would like to be the first to know about the latest in funded training programs, webinars and training opportunities please sign up for the ECTARC Email Updates click here.